Saturday, August 15, 2009

Unpublished


... for good reason. Another oldie. This one was done for Marvel a few years back and never used. I think it probably has something to do with the weird interpretation of both characters. I wanted Wolverine to be really small, more like the height Byrne always seemed to give him where he really was a runt. As for Spidey, I just really love the fact that his costume is supposed to be home-made. I always thought it would look much goofier than a lot of artists draw it. More random, uneven webbing and a non-perfect fit. Personally, I think it makes the stuff he does even cooler. Just imagine the bad guys reaction to seeing a guy who looks like he just walked out of a cosplay convention. Basically, you would laugh your ass of at the guy, then he would jump fifteen feet in the air, do some crazy acrobatics, move his limbs in a completely inhuman way, and cover you with webbing. Scary :)

All in all, I consider this piece to be an earnest failure as far as 'cover image' goes. Still, it's nice to play around with character's I don't often draw. There's still a 12 year old in me that would love to do a Spider-man story... the problem is that I'm not sure there would be an audience for it. It would be a far cry from Toby Maguire. PLUS, having to draw all that webbing..... yeah, I dunno.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, art like this makes my day! Love to see your Spider-Man story. I've been wondering for a while why we haven't seen Spidey covers from you.

    Can't say I'm into the films much anymore. They don't hold up for me compared to Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and Iron Man. The train fight in SM 2 still rocks though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dope as always, i can understand why it dont work as a cover but from a technical stance is still an awesome take on the characters.

    lee would be awesome if you could i duno show your work flow, how you render out your characters, really im interested :P

    much respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your interpretations is perfect fot both characters, I mean at least for me. That´s the way I like to draw the Spiderman too, with ramdom webs through the outfit. it´s look even better than the main uniform. Great job as ever... can´t left to say that you´re one of my biggest influences and I simply love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Spiderman looks great, reminds me of a tai chi type pose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always Lee, completely fcukin' badass. If Marvel doesn't know how to use this cover as a variant, that's just their bad taste, simple as that. With some of the boring as all get out covers they use, and they don't see the genius in this one...too bad. They simply don't deserve to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with Georgeasaurus. This would have made a fantastic cover. Marvels loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the John Woo scene you've got going on with the doves! As for the characters, like Ibraim said I like drawing Spideys costume the same. A++++ As always...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicest Spider-man I have seen i a very long time. Amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, that is one very amazing Spider-Man. I love the fact that you can see his web-slingers under his suit and that you even took the time to make his footing as if they're boots.

    Very cool stuff man.

    ReplyDelete